- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 handfuls plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sliced or finely chopped sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, add in garlic, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and sage. Mix meat, roll into 8 large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat balls with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation half way into each ball and fill the cavity with some Gorgonzola. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a sauce pot over medium heat, add bay and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in cream, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly 8 to 10 minutes.
Ladle sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs and potatoes alongside, if desired.