Grilled Green Chili Quesadillas
- 3 fresh chile peppers, such as poblanos -- any variety may be used, according to your tolerance for heat
- 4 (12-inch) large flour tortillas
- 3 cups (3/4 pound brick) smoked cheddar (recommended: Cabot brand, shredded)
- 1 cup store bought salsa verde, available on chip and snack aisle or in Mexican food section
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat a grill pan over high heat. Place whole chiles on grill and char all over. about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and split chiles. Scrape away seeds with a spoon and slice.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Char the tortilla and blister it on 1 side, 20 seconds, then flip tortilla. Cover half of the tortilla with cheese and chilies, then fold over. Press down gently with spatula. Cook quesadilla 15 seconds more on each side, transfer to a cutting board. Repeat. Pile up 2 completed quesadillas at a time and cut into 3 generous wedges. The yield will be 12 pieces from 4 quesadillas. Serve slices on a large platter with small dishes of salsa verde and sour cream for topping. Garnish the platter and toppings with chopped cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller