Grilled Green Chili Quesadillas
- 3 fresh chile peppers, such as poblanos -- any variety may be used, according to your tolerance for heat
- 4 (12-inch) large flour tortillas
- 3 cups (3/4 pound brick) smoked cheddar (recommended: Cabot brand, shredded)
- 1 cup store bought salsa verde, available on chip and snack aisle or in Mexican food section
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat a grill pan over high heat. Place whole chiles on grill and char all over. about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and split chiles. Scrape away seeds with a spoon and slice.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Char the tortilla and blister it on 1 side, 20 seconds, then flip tortilla. Cover half of the tortilla with cheese and chilies, then fold over. Press down gently with spatula. Cook quesadilla 15 seconds more on each side, transfer to a cutting board. Repeat. Pile up 2 completed quesadillas at a time and cut into 3 generous wedges. The yield will be 12 pieces from 4 quesadillas. Serve slices on a large platter with small dishes of salsa verde and sour cream for topping. Garnish the platter and toppings with chopped cilantro.