Grilled Mushroom Salad Subs
- 2 baguettes, halved across, split and some of the soft insides removed
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 rounded tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and wiped clean with damp cloth
- Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, a generous handful
- 6 cups, a package, deveined triple washed spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 pound manchego cheese (common Spanish sharp table cheese, available in the specialty cheese case) thinly sliced or sharp cheddar may be substituted
- 4 piquillo peppers, pimientos or roasted red peppers, patted dry and cut into strips
Preheat a grill pan to medium high heat or prepare outdoor grill.
Turn the oven on moderate heat. Place the hollowed bread in oven to crisp, 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, extra-virgin olive oil and garlic. Place mushrooms in a shallow dish and pour marinade over the caps. Turn caps in marinade and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes. Prep your parsley and spinach.
Grill mushrooms 4 to 5 minutes on each side and remove to a cutting board a few at a time. Thinly slice the mushrooms and transfer back to the dish you marinated them in and add parsley and spinach as you go, layering hot mushrooms with the herb and greens. Once all the hot sliced mushrooms combine with the spinach, the greens will wilt up a bit. Toss the salad and adjust the salt and pepper, to your taste.
Pile the salad into crispy bread and top with manchego cheese and red peppers of choice then set bread tops in place.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Warm Thanksgiving Salad of Clams, Mussels, and Mushrooms, Mushroom-Pecorino Salad, Frisee Salad with Spiced Walnuts, Pears, Farmhouse Cheddar, and Port Vinaigrette, Portobello Mushroom Recipes, Grilled Cheese Recipes, Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes, Brie, Mushroom Salad Recipes, Cream Cheese