Harvest Moon Macaroni
- 1 pound macaroni such as cassarecci, strozzopretti or ziti with lines
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose four
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Nutmeg, grated to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen butternut squash, defrosted
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup extra-sharp yellow Cheddar
- A handful fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Bring water to a boil, season with salt and cook macaroni to al dente.
Preheat broiler and place rack in middle of the oven.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until soft, 6 to 7 minutes and stir in the thyme.
Scoot onions off to side of pan and melt butter, whisk flour into butter and combine whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk, season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cook until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in butternut squash and a few dashes hot sauce. Reduce heat. When sauce comes to a bubble, stir in Parmigiano. Combine the sauce and macaroni, transfer to a casserole dish and top with shredded yellow Cheddar, chopped parsley and paprika. Brown the macaroni under broiler, 4 to 5 minutes until brown and bubbly.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.