Jumbo Reuben Loaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small (1 1/2 pounds) red cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 large pumpernickel, rye or sourdough bread from bakery counter
- 1/2 pound deli sliced corned beef
- 1/2 pound deli sliced smoked turkey
- 1/2 pound deli sliced pastrami
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup chili sauce
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Preheat broiler and place rack 10 to 12 inches from heat.
To very hot skillet add vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan, bay, garlic, cabbage, cloves, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, then add in the grill seasoning and brown sugar and toss to coat. Add vinegar, cook off 2 minutes then remove from heat and let stand. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut 1 inch off bread across the whole loaf to remove the top. Remove the soft insides of the bread to form a bread bowl. Pile half the cabbage into base of the bread. Fill bread with meats and Swiss cheese. Place filled bread into the oven to melt the Swiss. Top melted cheese with the remaining seared pickled cabbage. Slather the top with sweet pickle relish mixed with chili sauce and set bread top into place. The loaf will appear whole and empty to the eye. Pack to travel or serve on cutting board. Cut the loaf into 6 sections and serve.