- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (10 or 12 leaves) fresh basil, very thinly sliced
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and drop the spaghetti into the pot.
When the pasta has been cooking about 5 minutes, add lemon juice, a ladle of the cooking water from the pasta and the cream to the garlic and oil. Raise heat a bit to bring sauce to a bubble.
Drain pasta when it still has a good bite to it, al dente. Add lemon zest and half of the cheese to the cream sauce. Season the sauce with salt, to taste. Add pasta to pan and turn off heat. Toss the pasta with sauce a minute or 2, allowing it time to soak up the sauce.
Top the plates of pasta or platter with remaining cheese, parsley and basil.