Mexican Sliced Steak and Barley Soup
- Marinade and Steak:
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chile, such as Fresno or jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- 1/4 red onion, minced or grated
- 1 pound skirt steak
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- Barley Soup Base:
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 chile peppers, such as Fresno or jalepeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups beef stock
- One 32-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- A handful of fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
- Lime wedges, Worcestershire and hot sauce, to pass at table
For the marinade and steak: Combine the cilantro, Worcestershire, garlic, chiles, lime juice, marjoram and onions in a bag. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and add to the bag. Release air and seal the bag, then refrigerate. Marinate up to 2 hours.
For the soup: Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the barley to tender, but al dente, about 20 minutes. Drain and drizzle with a touch of oil. Store in a plastic container until the night you serve the soup.
In a soup pot, heat the 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, chile peppers, onions and bell peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften the veggies, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes and cilantro, and simmer to combine the flavors, about 20 minutes. Cool, cover and store for a make-ahead meal.
To serve, heat the soup to a low boil. Add the barley and heat through. Serve the soup in shallow bowls and add the sliced skirt steak. Pass the lime wedges, Worcestershire and hot sauce for topping.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray