Portuguese Fisherman's Shrimp and Chorizo
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chorizo, casing removed and chopped
- 1 starchy potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 Fresno or Holland pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf kale, leaves stripped and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with chiles
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, deveined and stemmed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Portuguese rolls, for serving
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat, add the chorizo and render 2 minutes. Then add the potato, onion, carrot, garlic, chile pepper, thyme, and bay leaf, soften 5 to 6 minutes. Wilt in the kale and season with a little nutmeg. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock into the pot, bring to a low boil and season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
Heat the chorizo and vegetable sauce base to a low boil, when ready to serve. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and firm. Add the juice of 1 lemon and turn off the heat. Serve the shrimp and chorizo in shallow bowls garnished with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, and warm Portuguese rolls alongside.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray