Rarebit Smash Burgers with Pub Potatoes and Horseradish Sauce
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- EVOO, for the pans
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated or pasted
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Splash of half-and-half or whole milk
- 2 pounds 80-percent ground beef (if you grind your own, use 1/2-pound each skirt steak, brisket and sirloin)
- About 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 small white or yellow onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Irish stout, such as Guinness
- 1/2 pound sliced Cotswold or extra-sharp yellow Cheddar
- Brioche or potato rolls, lightly toasted
- Bread-and-butter pickles, for topping
- Watercress, for topping
Peel the potatoes, then slice into thin wedges or cut into 3/4-inch dice. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of EVOO. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate. Add the potatoes to the fat in the skillet and season with a little salt and lots of pepper. Cook until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Cover with foil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the foil and cook until crisp, 7 to 8 more minutes.
Mix the sour cream, chives, dill, garlic, horseradish, 2 tablespoons parsley and half-and-half or milk in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix the beef, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard cayenne or hot sauce and the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Brush with oil, then add the beef mixture in 4 loose balls of equal size (do not shape them with your hands). Flatten with a spatula into 3/4-inch-thick patties. Scatter the onion slices over the top and press in with the spatula. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and press the onion into the patties. Cook for 2 more minutes. Douse the pan with the beer and lay the cheese over the patties. Cover and cook until the cheese melts, about 1 minute.
Serve the burgers on the rolls with pickles and watercress. Drizzle the horseradish sauce over the potatoes and serve on the side.