Red Chard and Rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 slices bacon, or 1 (1/8-inch thick) slice of speck, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small bunch red chard, stemmed and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika or sweet paprika
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or water
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the bacon, cook 2 minutes, then add the garlic and stir 1 minute. Add the chard and season with a little nutmeg, salt, pepper, and paprika. When the chard is wilted add the rice and stir 1 minute more. Add the stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook 15 to18 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.