Roasted Chicken Dinner with Potatoes and Artichokes on a Bed of Crispy Kale
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken drumsticks
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 whole skin-on, bone-in chicken breast, quartered (separate the breast and then cut each piece in half crosswise)
- EVOO, for liberal drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 2 small to medium onions, cut into thin wedges with the root ends attached
- Handful fresh bay leaves
- One 10-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, drained and halved, or one 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and crushed
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch black kale or dinosaur kale, stemmed
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Drizzle the chicken with EVOO and liberally sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
In a roasting pan or baking dish, combine the potatoes, rosemary, onions, bay leaves, artichokes, garlic and lemons. Drizzle with about 1/4 cup EVOO, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables.
Position the rack on the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Dress the kale very lightly with about 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with salt, pepper and a few gratings of nutmeg. Spread the kale on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Broil until very crispy, about 10 minutes.
Divide the kale among plates and top with the chicken and vegetables.
Cook's Note: You can prepare the chicken and vegetables ahead of time. Cover and store on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator until ready to roast.