Sesame Five-Spice Roasted Nuts
- 1 cup peeled whole almonds, available in bulk foods section of market
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts, available in bulk foods sections of market
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons five- spice powder (ground star anise, Szechuan peppercorn, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed), available on spice aisle
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup smoked almonds, such as Diamond brand, available on snack aisle
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees F. Roast peeled almonds and hazelnuts about 7 to 8 minutes; your nose will know when they're done.
Toast sesame seeds over medium heat in a small skillet 2 minutes, remove and reserve. Add butter and melt it. Add the five-spice powder, hot sauce. Add roasted nuts, smoked nuts and toss to coat in butter. Add sesame seeds and toss with nuts, transfer to a small bowl and serve warm.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray