Sliced Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sorta-Caesar Salads
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling, plus 1/3 cup
- 8 large portobello mushroom caps, brushed clean with a damp towel
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary leaves, a few sprigs
- 1 tablespoon, a palm full, grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 crusty semolina rolls or 1/2 small loaf semolina bread
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco) eyeball it
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste - a must for me, optional for you
- 3 hearts romaine, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano, a few generous handfuls
- Ground black pepper
Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil evenly over mushroom caps liberally then rub with rosemary and grill seasoning. Grill 3 to 4 minutes on each side - until dark and tender. Remove the caps and reserve.
While mushrooms cook, toast split rolls or bread under broiler until deeply golden then rub with 1 clove of cracked, split garlic. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the bread and season with a little pepper then chop bread into cubes.
Rub the inside of a bowl with remaining cracked clove of garlic. Combine the lemon juice, Dijon, Worcestershire, hot sauce and anchovy paste. Whisk in 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil. Add the greens and bread to the bowl and toss greens with dressing to coat. Add cheese to salad and toss again then season with black pepper, to taste. Top servings of salad with sliced mushrooms across the top.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray