- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 bay leaf, fresh if available
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices thick, smoky center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 2 cups shredded fresh smoked mozzarella or smoked sharp white Cheddar cheese, 3/4 pound
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
Bring the broth to a simmer and add the chicken tenders, poach them for 6 to 7 minutes with a bay leaf.
While the chicken poaches, heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a medium soup pot or deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook it until crisp then remove it with a slotted spoon. Drain off the excess fat, leaving 2 to 3 tablespoons in the pan. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook them for 5 minutes then stir in chipotles and tomatoes.
Remove the chicken from the stock, dice it then add it to the soup. Pass the stock through a strainer then add it to the soup.
Place a pile of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of each soup bowl. Cover it liberally with smoked cheese then ladle the hot soup down over the top. Serve it with lime, raw onions and cilantro at table to finish the soup.