Spanish Pork Chops with Linguica Corn Stuffing and Cherry-Rioja Gravy
- 4 thick-cut boneless pork chops, center cut, about 2 pounds
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rioja or other dry red wine, eyeball it, about 1/4 of a bottle
- 1/2 cup black cherry preserves or all-fruit spread
- 2 cups beef stock, divided
- 1/2 pound linguica or chorizo, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 corn muffins, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, eyeball it in your palm
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, 4 to 5 sprigs
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 2 turns around the pan. Add the chops and caramelize the meat, 2 minutes on each side. Transfer meat to a sheet pan and place in the oven to finish cooking through, 12 to 15 minutes. Return pan to stove, reduce heat a bit and add butter to the skillet. Add flour to butter and cook 1 minute. Whisk wine into pan and reduce 1 minute then whisk in preserves and 1 cup of stock. Season with salt and coarse black pepper and let gravy thicken over low heat.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan. When oil smokes, add linguica or chorizo and brown, 2 minutes. Add the celery, onions, peppers, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes then crumble muffins into the skillet and combine with vegetables. Dampen the stuffing with remaining 1 cup of stock and season with smoked paprika and thyme. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until ready to serve.
Remove meat from oven and whisk the drippings into your gravy. Pile stuffing on plates, chops alongside and ladle gravy over both. Scatter parsley over meat and stuffing.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Aria Kagan