Steak Pizzaola with The Works
- 1 24 ounce to 2 pound piece porterhouse or rib-eye steak
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed away from the skins
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/3 stick pepperoni, casing removed, then chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, eyeball it
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup grated cheese, Parmigiano or Romano
Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Brown 3 minutes on each side and remove. Add another turn of the pan extra-virgin olive oil and reduce heat to medium high. Add garlic, pepper flakes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and pepperoni, if using. Cook mixture 5 minutes, then add wine and scrape up any good-bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste. Slide steak back in and reduce heat to medium. Cover pan and cook 5 or 6 minutes for medium rare, 10 to 12 minutes for medium well. Remove meat, cut away from bone or divide into 2 large portions. Cover steaks with sauce and top with grated cheese.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.