- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with the greens, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup cream, divided
- 1/2 cup quick cooking polenta, plus more, if needed*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon, stripped and chopped, 3 to 4 tablespoons
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
In a deep skillet heat 2 turns of the pan extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lightly brown, 3 minutes, add carrots, onions, and celery as you chop. Season with salt and pepper and cook 10 to 12 minutes to soften.
Preheat broiler. Set rack in middle of oven.
*Cook's Note: You may need up to 3/4 to 1 cup of polenta to fill the tops of your soup bowls or use some more of the remaining stock.
Scoot meat and veggies off to side, melt butter and combine with flour 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups stock and combine, stir in 1/2 cup cream and bring to a bubble. Stir in Dijon, tarragon, peas and adjust salt and pepper and transfer to soup bowls. Set soup bowls on baking dish. Form tops to your pot pies with the polenta and cheese mixture. Set under broiler and brown 2 to 3 minutes.