Three-Pepper and Onion Spaghetti
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, 1/2 palmful
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 Cubanelle peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 red chile pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion or red onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed Italian tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded or torn
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook to al dente.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fennel seeds and stir for 1 minute, then add all the peppers and the onions. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes, then add the garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste. When the peppers and onions are tender, add the wine and stir for 30 seconds, then add the stock and tomatoes. Reduce the sauce for 7 to 8 minutes.
Drain the pasta, drop it into the skillet, and toss it with the butter and the sauce. Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl, sprinkle with a little cheese, top with the basil, and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.