- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 whole chicken thighs, skin on (you can use any whole chicken pieces)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green bell peppers, cored and sliced (not too thin)
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and sliced (not too thin)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 12 ounces mushrooms (white or cremini), sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste, optional
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- One 28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes (with their juice)
- 1 pound pasta or egg noodles
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for sprinkling
- Grated Parmesan, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken. Dredge the chicken in the flour.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place the chicken skin-side down in the skillet, four pieces at a time. Brown on both sides, then remove to a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Pour off half the fat and discard.
Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the skillet, as well as the garlic. Stir around for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and stir around for 1 minute. Add the thyme, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt. And the crushed red pepper flakes if you like things a little spicy. Add extra black pepper to taste. Stir, then pour in the wine and allow to bubble.
Pour in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the chicken back to the skillet skin-side up, without totally submerging it. Cover and put into the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and increase the heat to 375 degrees F. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Do not overcook! Drain and set aside.
Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate, followed by the vegetables. Return the skillet to the burner and turn the heat to medium high. Cook and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes.
Pour the noodles onto a large platter or into a big serving bowl. Add the vegetables all over the top, then place the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. Spoon the juices from the skillet over the chicken and noodles.
Before serving, sprinkle on chopped fresh parsley and grated Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond