- 1 whole chicken, cut up, or 8 chicken thighs
- 1 pound thin spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the chicken into a medium pot of water and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Boil for a few minutes, then turn to a medium-low heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Take the chicken out of the pot (leave the liquid for cooking the spaghetti) and let cool slightly. Pick out the meat to make 2 generous cups.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the spaghetti to a large bowl and combine with the chicken, mushroom soup, 1 1/2 cups of the Cheddar, the green and red peppers, seasoned salt, cayenne, onions and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in 1 cup of the reserved liquid at first, adding an additional cup if needed.
Place the mixture in a casserole pan and top with the remaining 1 cup Cheddar. Bake until bubbly, about 45 minutes. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover the casserole with foil.)
The uncooked casserole can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days, or frozen for up to 6 months.