Supreme Pizza Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage (a little more is fine!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 slices provolone
- 16 slices pepperoni
- Thinly sliced red onion, for topping
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thick
- Sliced black olives, for topping
- 8 tablespoons jarred marinara sauce, plus a little more
- 4 kaiser rolls or good hamburger buns (kaiser rolls from the bakery section)
- Butter, for toasting
- Grated Parmesan (store bought)
Combine the ground beef, Italian sausage and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Knead the mixture together and form it into four large/thick patties.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the burgers on one side for several minutes, then turn the burgers. Lay 2 slices of provolone on each patty, followed by 4 slices of pepperoni. Add a couple of thin slices of red onion, a slice of green bell pepper and a pile of black olives. Spoon a little marinara sauce on top, then lay another slice of cheese on top of all the fillings.
Place the lid on the skillet and allow the burgers to cook all the way through while the cheese melts and the pepperoni warms.
Split the rolls and toast them in butter in a skillet until nice and golden and crisp. Spread both halves with more marinara sauce and sprinkle the sauce with Parmesan.
Lay the patties on the bottom buns, then top with the top buns. Serve immediately; hearty appetites are recommended!
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond