Risotto Milanese Crab Cakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the rice and stir to combine with the onions. Cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, parsley and saffron. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender but still has a bite to it. Transfer the rice to a bowl and chill in the fridge until cooled.
Fill a large, deep skillet halfway with vegetable oil and heat the oil to 350 degrees F over medium-high heat.
Stir the crabmeat into the cooled rice. Form into patties and gently roll in the flour. Then dip in the eggs and then in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
Fry the cakes until golden brown, turning once while cooking. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Serve warm.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Lou Diamond Phillips