Barley and Asparagus Pilaf
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quick cooking barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 12 spears fresh asparagus, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons fresh chopped basil leaves
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent and soft. Add the barley and stir together so the barley gets coated with oil and begins to toast.
Reduce the heat and slowly add the vegetable stock a little at a time to the toasted barley. Stir constantly until all the liquid you've added has evaporated, then add more. Continue to do this until all the stock has been used. Reduce the heat to low and add the asparagus. Simmer until the asparagus is cooked, normally around 8 minutes. Cook's Note: Alternatively, you could blanch the asparagus first in boiling water, prior to adding it to the cooked barley. This will save you time if you're in a hurry.