Cranberry, Apple and Sausage Stuffing
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, unsalted
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 cups chopped celery, (about 6 large stalks)
- 6 cups coarsely chopped leeks, (about 12)
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 pound breakfast sausage or Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, (about 4 sprigs)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves, (about 6 leaves)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, (about 4 to 6 sprigs)
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 box stuffing mix (not cornbread) (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 cups (1 pint) vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onions, celery, leeks, apples, and sausage, breaking up the sausage as you cook. After about 10 minutes, add the poultry seasoning, fresh herbs and dried cranberries. Add the dried stuffing mix and moisten with the vegetable stock. Season stuffing mix with salt and pepper, to taste. (I like the stuffing a little wetter - if you don't, just add less stock)
Place into a buttered casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved