Fried Bananas with Lavender Honey and Five-Spice Chocolate
- 1/2 cup good quality chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups seltzer water
- 4 bananas, cut in half on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Lavender honey, for drizzling
- Creme fraiche, for garnish
- Small chunk dark chocolate, for garnish
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Stir the chocolate syrup and 5-spice powder together and set aside.
In a deep fryer or large heavy saute pan with deep sides, heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Add the seltzer water in a stream while whisking constantly. Dip the bananas in the batter to coat and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sift the powdered sugar over the top immediately.
Place 2 banana pieces on a serving plate and drizzle chocolate sauce over. Top with a drizzle of honey.
Top with a spoonful of creme fraiche. Grate chocolate over top. Garnish with a small sprig of mint.
Recipe courtesy Robert Irvine