Guatemala San Sebastian Coffee Chocolate Mousse
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin or 1 tablespoon modified tapioca starch (recommended: Ultratex 8)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scrapped or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brewed dark roast coffee
- Shaved chocolate, for garnish
- Fresh fruit, for garnish
Add the gelatin and cold water to a small bowl and allow it to sit for 2 minutes. Add hot water and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
Cooks Note: If you are using modified tapioca starch, this step is not necessary just add it to cocoa mixture and continue.
In a stand mixer, add the cocoa and sugar and blend on low speed with the whisk attachment, until well combined. Add the cream, vanilla bean seeds and coffee and mix on high speed until stiff peaks are formed. Stir in the gelatin and mix for 1 minute. Remove the mousse from the mixer and portion into serving dishes. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Garnish with shaved chocolate or fresh fruit and serve.
Robert Irvines eat! All Rights Reserved 2010
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse