- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (1 tablespoon to brush on octopus and 1 tablespoon to mix in)
- 3 to 4 pound octopus, debeaked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, white and tender green parts only, sliced on the bias
- 1 red chile, stem and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon nori (from about 3 seaweed sheets used to wrap sushi, such as from a package of 10 yakinori), pulverized
- Salt, if needed
Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil on the octopus (reserving the rest), season with salt and pepper, and add to a pot with enough water to cover. Simmer until the octopus is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Fold octopus into cucumber/scallion mixture.
Serve at room temperature as a salad.
2008, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved