Tofu and Pepper Tempura
- Tempura mix:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 2/3 cup iced water
- 6 cups grapeseed oil, for frying
- 1 cup large diced red onion
- 1 cup large diced red pepper
- 1 cup large diced green pepper
- 1 cup small mushroom caps
- 2 cups diced tofu
- 12 large bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soy sauce and chives, for dipping, optional
DirectionsFor the tempura mix:
Sift all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Beat the egg and food coloring, if using, together in another bowl. Once incorporated, add the cold water. Gradually, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly to remove any lumps. Set aside.
Cook's Note: Different flour absorbs different amounts of liquid so be patient and add slowly.
For the kebobs:
Alternate the vegetables and tofu on the skewers to form a colorful stick of vegetables.
In a large shallow dish and the flour and season it with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently roll the tofu and vegetable skewers in the flour, coating it well and shaking off any excess flour. Dip the skewers into the tempura mix, and let the excess batter drip back into the bowl. Add the skewers to the hot oil, in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with a simple dipping sauce of soy sauce and chopped chives, if desired. Enjoy.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.