Rollo De Salmon Ahumado Con Salsa Tartar Y Lentejas (Smoked Salmon Roll with Tartar Sauce and Lentils)
Recipe courtesy Carlos Piernas Del Amor from Carpier Ahumados, Sant Vicenc De Montalt, Catalonia
- 1/2 cup small French lentils, cooked until just tender and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped gherkins
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 spring onions, white part only, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 9 ounces smoked salmon, long slices (the slices should not be so thin that they fall apart)
- Toasted baguette slices, for serving
Put the mayonnaise in a bowl. Then add in the remaining half gherkins, capers, chives, parsley and spring onions. Set aside.
Lay some plastic wrap on a cutting board, which will help to form the roll. Start to layer the sheets of smoked salmon on top, overlapping the slices, so that none of the filling escapes when you roll it up.
Using an offset spatula (commonly used for frosting cakes), spread a thin layer of the tartar sauce right on the salmon, all the way to the outer edges of the salmon. Next, spoon on a layer of the prepared lentils over the tartar sauce layer.
Using the plastic wrap to help, lift the salmon away from you and form it into a log form. (The plastic wrap helps to lift the delicate salmon. The plastic wrap should not get rolled into the salmon.) Once the roll is formed, use a very sharp knife to very gently slice the delicate roll into pieces, like a Japanese maki or sushi roll. Serve immediately on individual spoons or on top warm toasted baguette slices drizzled with a little olive oil.
Cook's Note: The success of this final dish is dependent on using the best quality smoked salmon and ingredients.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.