Sharp Cheddar Cupcakes with Candied Pecan Topping and Honey Blue Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- Candied Pecans, recipe follows
- Honey Blue Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
- Cheddar Cheese Crisps, recipe follows
- Candied Pecans:
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, finely chopped, plus 12 whole pecans
- Honey Blue Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cheddar Cheese Crisps:
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, granulated sugar, milk, butter, baking powder, vanilla and egg. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full and bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool.
Spoon a tablespoon of Candied Pecans on each cooled cupcake. Then frost each cupcake with Honey Blue Cheese Frosting. Finally, garnish with a Cheddar Cheese Crisp and 1 whole candied pecan.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.Candied Pecans:
Combine the brown sugar, 1/4 cup water and butter in saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar melts. Stir in all the pecans. Continue cooking over medium heat until the sugar reaches a full boil, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully as the sugar will boil fairly quickly. As soon as the mixture reaches full boil, remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool. Remove the whole pecans and save for garnish. Spoon candied pecans over cupcakes when sugar becomes sticky and not too runny. Yield: 2 cups.Honey Blue Cheese Frosting: Cheddar Cheese Crisps:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Drop quarter-size mounds of cheese on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is crispy, about 5 minutes. Yield: 12 crisps.