Shrimp and Andouille Jambalaya
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2/3 pound andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into a large dice
- 1 large onion, cut into a large dice
- 3 ribs celery, cut into a large dice
- 1 large head garlic, peeled and minced
- Cayenne pepper, as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 pint shucked oysters
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups long-grain rice, soaked in 3 changes of water
- 3 cups shrimp stock or water
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
Heat the canola oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-gauge pot over high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic, and season with cayenne pepper and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook stirring, until well browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, shrimp, oysters, and bay leaves. Add the rice, stir gently; then add the stock. Gently move the spoon across the bottom of the pot, to make sure that the rice is not sticking. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 8 minutes.
To serve, transfer to a serving bowl, and mix in the green onions. Season with hot sauce.
Chef's notes: Jambalaya is a versatile dish; different combinations of other ingredients can work in this recipe.
After adding the rice, be careful when stirring, the less stirring the better. You don't want to pull our excessive starch from the grain--this is not risotto.
While simmering, be sure rice is not sticking to the bottom; you might need to add a little water or turn down the heat. If no andouille is available, substitute other sausages, smoked sausage is the best.
Ochsner Criteria Slimmed Down Original Recipe
Calories: Less than 800 392 calories 675 calories
Total Fat: Less than 20gm 19.5 grams 29.4 grams
Saturated Fat: Less than 8gm 6.2 gm 10.9 gm
Cholesterol: Less than 150mg 140 mg 164 mg
Sodium: Less than 1000 918 mg 878 mg
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.