- 1 pound raw lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning blend, dry
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup canned no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 small hamburger buns (light, if available)
Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and bring it to medium-high heat on the stove. Add turkey and sprinkle with steak seasoning and salt. Cook and crumble until it's mostly cooked, about 8 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar. Mix it well and continue to cook and crumble until the meat is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low. Add tomato sauces, tomato paste, and sugar. Stir well. Stirring occasionally, cook until it's hot, about 5 minutes.
Toast the buns, if desired. Evenly distribute the mixture among the bottom buns and then finish off with the tops of the buns. Enjoy!
PER SERVING (1/5th of recipe, 1 sandwich): 296 calories, 8g fat, 770mg sodium, 33g carbs, 3g fiber, 11g sugars, 26g protein