- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus sugar for dusting the cookies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground espresso
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Special equipment: an electric mixer with paddle attachment
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Use an electric mixer to cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and molasses and mix well.
Roll the dough into tight 1-inch round logs, wrap snugly in parchment paper or plastic wrap, and chill until firm (see Cook's Note*).
Unwrap the dough and slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Pour some sugar into a shallow dish. Press the top of each cookie into the sugar and then place cookies sugar side up on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Do not over bake; the cookies will become "snappy" once they have cooled completely. Transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool for 5 minutes.
*Cook's Note: At this point, the dough can be stored in the freezer. From the freezer, let the dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing.