Sweet 'n Sticky Sesame Chicken
- 10 ounces raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into nuggets
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free pancake syrup
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon reduced-sodium or lite soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- Red pepper flakes, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set it aside.
Season chicken with salt and pepper, and place in a bowl with egg substitute. Toss to coat and set aside.
Put flour in another bowl. One at a time, use a fork or tongs to transfer chicken "nuggets" to the flour bowl, allowing excess egg substitute to drain back into the egg bowl. Thoroughly coat the chicken with flour and then transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining flour and chicken.
Bake the chicken in the oven until fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine broth with cornstarch in a nonstick skillet and whisk to dissolve. Set stove to medium-low heat. Add syrup, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic. Mix well. Stirring often, cook until it's thick enough to coat a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat. Add chicken and toss to coat.
Plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. If you like, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe, about 1 cup): 288 calories, 4g fat, 815mg sodium, 24g carbs, 2.25g fiber, 6g sugars, 37g protein