Sweet Sausage and Pepper Crostini
- 4 cups prosecco
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed, plus 2 cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large sweet Italian sausages
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Baguette, sliced on the bias 1/4-inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Pour the prosecco into a deep skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic, bay leaf and sausages. Simmer until the sausages are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove the sausages, reserve the cooking liquid, and let the sausages rest a few minutes. Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer and cook until reduced and slightly thickened into a sauce. Slice the sausages on the bias into thin slices.
In a small bowl, combine the chopped garlic with a few tablespoons of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Brush the garlic and oil onto each baguette slice and bake until golden brown and crispy.
Roast the peppers in the oven or over an open flame until almost blackened. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover and let steam and cool. Remove the skin and slice into thin slices.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay