Three Cheese Mac with Cheez-It® Herb Crumb Crust
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 box Cheez-it crackers
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons grated aged Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons crumbled soft goat cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
Set the oven to broil. Add the pasta to a pot of boiling salted water and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
Pulse the crackers in a food processor to a coarse consistency. Mix with the chives and parsley.
Whisk the butter and flour in a medium saucepot over medium-high heat until fully incorporated and bubbly. Add the milk and bring to a simmer, whisking the entire time. Whisk in the cheeses, a little at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
Strain the pasta and mix with the cheesy sauce. Spoon into oven-safe baking vessels and top with the crumb crust. Place under the broiler until lightly toasted and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully so the mac doesn't burn.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Justin Balmes