Touchdown Brownies with Caramel Sauce
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus extra to rub on parchment paper
- Four 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup crushed pecans, walnuts and almonds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Caramel Sauce, recipe follows, for drizzling
- Additional Toppings:
- Chocolate candy bar pieces
- Crushed and whole candy-coated chocolates
- Crushed chocolate sandwich cookies
- Chocolate sauce
- Whipped cream
- Crushed nuts
- Multi-colored sprinkles
- Mint leaves
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe Additional Toppings:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and place a metal bowl or double boiler over it; make sure the bowl is not touching the water. Add the butter and chocolate squares to the bowl and stir until melted. Pour the melted chocolate into a large glass bowl. Add the sugar, flour, nuts, vanilla and eggs, and mix well.
Line a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Rub the parchment paper with butter to prevent sticking. Then pour the brownie batter into the dish. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove the brownies from the oven.Caramel Sauce:
In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and 1 1/2 cups water. Cook and stir over high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is a golden color.
Remove from the heat. Carefully whisk in the cream, half at a time. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Return to medium heat to melt any sugar lumps. Let cool.
Recipe courtesy of G. Garvin