- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- One 28-ounce can fire-roasted dice tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Cook's Note: For a large party, double the beef.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and green onions and cook for about 1 minute. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder until fully combined. Add the tomatoes, beans, bell pepper, carrots, brown sugar and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer the chili for 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010