- 2 pounds spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- One 16-ounce can San Marzano diced tomatoes
- One 16-ounce can San Marzano tomato sauce
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat
- 1 loaf Italian bread, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 bunch fresh basil, large stems removed, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Halve the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place on a baking sheet, cut-side up. Roast the squash until softened, 30 to 40 minutes depending on size.
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread, milk, Parmesan, basil and parsley and mix well. Form into 2-inch meatballs.
Heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the meatballs until browned on all sides. Cook in batches if needed. Transfer the meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer until cooked through.
Using a fork, remove the squash flesh from the skin and stir the squash into the tomato sauce. Serve the squash topped with meatballs.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.