Bacon-Braised Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, washed,and cut in half
- 4 ounces (about 1/2 cup) bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed, plus 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, plus 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Take a large pan and set over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until fat renders 2 to 3 minutes. Add the smashed garlic clove, thyme sprigs and Brussels sprouts and cook gently until slightly caramelized. Add stock and reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and a little pepper, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until tender. Remove lid and add a splash of vinegar and reduce until syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes.
After Brussels sprouts are done cooking, put them in oven safe dish. In sheet tray and toss bread crumbs with rosemary, thyme leaves and chopped garlic, then drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture and Parmigiano over Brussels sprouts and bake in a hot oven until golden and crispy.
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence