Italian Tomato Gravy
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Saute the garlic, red pepper flakes, and herbs for 2 minutes until the herbs are fragrant and garlic is golden (but not overly brown.) Raise the heat to medium, add onion and carrot; cook for 5 minutes until they breakdown and are soft. Deglaze with red wine and reduce to evaporate the alcohol. Hand crush the canned tomatoes and add to the pot, along with its liquid. Add a pinch of sugar to cut down on the acidity from the tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.