Tuscan Bean Soup with Lamb and Shaved Fennel
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- Leaves from a handful fresh thyme sprigs
- Leaves from 1 big stem fresh rosemary
- 2 cups diced fresh tomato
- 4 cups cubed (1-inch) cooked lamb
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked white beans, such as Borlotti
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced as thin as possible
Heat a 2-count of oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and herbs and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until the vegetables cook down to a pulp, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the lamb and then the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the lamb is very tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Add the beans and simmer until warmed through. Then mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to break them down and thicken the soup. Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with fennel, and serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.