CREAM CHEESE DOUGH:
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups all purpose or pastry flour
With electric mixer (beater), cream together butter and cream cheese. With mixer on low, gradually add in flour. Form into 3 squat disks. Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- 1 cup lightly toasted, chopped pecans
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons water to make a wash
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, cover the cranberries with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Drain. In a small bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough into a 10-inch circles. Paint with the melted butter. Sprinkle with the sugar/nut mixture and cranberries. With a pizza wheel, cut into 12 wedges. Roll up the wedges and line them up on a parchment lined or nonstick cookie sheet. Paint the rugelach with the egg wash. Bake for 15 minutes or set and light golden.