Wild Mushroom Turkey Gravy
Here's the perfect way to use those juices and drippings from your next roasted turkey. There's more than one way to thicken a sauce or[ gravy! Since flour and cornstarch are out when you're eating low-carb, a classic French cream reduction is in order. This rich sauce is complemented by the hearty taste of the mushrooms, and it's a great accompaniment to anyone's Thanksgiving turkey!]
- 2 cups defatted turkey juices from turkey roasting pan or homemade turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, rinsed, stemmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Bring the juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce by half. Add the cream and cook until reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes.
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, garlic, and sherry and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and almost dry, about 6 minutes
Combine the mushrooms with reduced gravy and season with salt and pepper. Reheat, if necessary, and stir in the vinegar. Transfer to a gravy boat and keep warm until serving.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray