- 1 (8-rib) pork rack, Frenched
- Pomegranate Marinade, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 12 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ounces thick sliced smoked bacon, cut into big cubes
- 2 whole, unpeeled heads garlic, split in half horizontally
- 2 pounds mustard greens, washed, trimmed, cut into 3-inch squares
- 12 ounces chicken stock
- 1 pound baby turnips, trimmed, peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Place the pork rack in the marinade and let it marinate it for 3 hours, refrigerated.
Remove the pork from the marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the marinade into 2 portions. Reserve.
In a saute pan, over high heat, add the olive oil and 1 ounce of butter. Sear pork until golden. Transfer to a preheated 350-degree F. oven and roast for 20 minutes, basting with half of the reserved marinade every 5 minutes. Cook until meat thermometer inserted into the rack reads 150 to 160 degrees F. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into chops.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the remaining half marinade to a boil and reduce until thickened. Strain. Whisk in 4 ounces of butter. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Reserve.
In a saute pan, heat the remaining 1-ounce of olive oil. Saute the smoked bacon and garlic until golden. Add 4 ounces of butter and when melted, add the mustard greens. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with 6 ounces of chicken stock. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reserve.
In another saute pan, heat the remaining 3 ounces of butter and melt. Add turnips and saute to golden brown. Add 6 ounces of chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Braise until al dente. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
In the center of 4 plates, make a small mound with the mustard greens. Place pork chops against the greens. Place turnips around the greens and pork chops, and lightly ladle over the reserved pomegranate sauce. Serve immediately.
- 2 ounces peanut oil
- 4 dried red chiles
- 4 ounces garlic, chopped
- 4 ounces ginger, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces tamarind paste
- 4 ounces brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander, toasted, crushed
- 2 ounces mushroom soy sauce