Country-Fried Pork Nuggets
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/4 cup minced pickled jalapenos
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups whole-grain mustard
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds pork loin, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
Preheat a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, with enough canola oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 375 degrees F.
Season the pork with salt and pepper, to taste. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together. In a large bowl, combine the flour, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper, to taste. Coat the pork on all sides in the buttermilk. Drain the pork from the buttermilk and add the chunks to the flour. Toss the pork in the flour insuring all of the pork is coated evenly. Shake off excess flour. Working in batches, deep-fry the nuggets until cooked through and crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pork from the fryer to a paper towel lined platter to drain. Transfer the pork to a serving platter and serve with jalapeno mustard.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.