- 8 ounces quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (Do not use chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon store-bought or homemade garam masala, recipe follows
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling, optional, see Cook's Note*
Fill a small saucepan a third of the way with water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Place a glass bowl over the top of the saucepan, to create a double boiler, make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
Add the chocolate, coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Stir until the chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and silky.
Off the heat, add the ginger and garam masala. Stir until well combined. Allow to cool slightly and then ladle a little over a scoop of ice cream. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt, if using and ginger. Wait about 30 seconds for the chocolate to harden and then enjoy!
*Cook's Note: If you don't have coarse sea salt, kosher salt will also work.
Aarti's Hot (not heavy!) Homemade Garam Masala:
- 3 large cinnamon sticks (if you have the kind you get at Indian stores, it's about 3 tablespoons of cinnamon bark bits)
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1/4 cup green cardamom pods, shelled, husks discarded (about 2 tablespoons of seeds)
- 4 large black cardamom pods, shelled, husks discarded (about 1 tablespoon of seeds), optional
Combine the cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom seeds, black cardamom seeds, if using, in a spice grinder or coffee grinder and grind until fine. Store the spice mix in an airtight container away from direct sunlight. Yield: about 1/2 cup.