Smoked Salmon Canape with Green Olive Grapefruit Tapenade
- 1 jar pitted California green olives (about 15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh chives
- Zest of 1 grapefruit, divided in half
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Champagne or sparkling wine
- 1/2 coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package prepared naan bread, 2 slices
- 1 package smoked salmon, about 6 slices torn into smaller slices
- 4 grapefruit segments, sliced thin
- Fresh chives, for garnish, optional
In a food processor, pulse the olives, mint, handful of chives, half of the grapefruit zest, all of the grapefruit juice, cumin, cinnamon, and olive oil. Dont over process, it should be a little chunky, but still finely chopped.
Pour the Champagne into a small saute pan with coriander seeds. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce until it just turns syrupy. Strain the mixture and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, stir together the cooled Champagne "syrup", remaining grapefruit zest, honey, sumac, and creme fraiche. Season the mixture with salt, and pepper, to taste.
Heat a grill pan or large nonstick skillet and warm the naan bread on both sides. Cut the bread in half from top to bottom, then crosswise into 1-inch wide pieces. Smear each one with some tapenade, then top with a small piece of salmon, a piece of grapefruit and dollop of creme fraiche. Balance a short length of chive on top if you want to be extra fancy!
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeria
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay