- 1/2 pound boneless salted codfish
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup sliced assorted bell peppers (red, green, yellow, orange)
- 1/4 Scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped with seeds removed
- 1 (20-ounce) can ackee, drained
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Wash off all the salt from the salted cod fish in cold water, and then soak as follows: Soak for 1 hour in hot water, and then drain and replace with a new batch of hot water for another hour. The fish will be soaked for a total of 2 hours.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and then add the chopped garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sprig of thyme and cook for 30 seconds. Add the onions, scallions, bell peppers, and Scotch bonnet pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir the entire mix as needed. Add the prepared cod fish to the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the ackee to the skillet and simmer for another 2 minutes. Stir in the black pepper and turn off the stove. Garnish the cooked meal with the paprika.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.