Aida's Scalloped Zucchini
- Olive oil
- 2 pounds zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick coins
- 4 (12 by 18-inch) pieces aluminum foil
- 2 cups shredded aged Cheddar
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (from about 4 medium cloves)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 16 thyme sprigs
Heat grill to 350 degrees F (medium heat) and oil well.
When ready to cook, oil 1 piece of aluminum foil on 1 side. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese in the middle of the foil to form a rectangle, shingle 1/4 of the zucchini over cheese (about 3 rows of 8 zucchini coins). Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the shallots and 1 teaspoon of garlic evenly over top, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with another 1/4 cup cheese, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, and top with 4 sprigs of thyme. Enclose foil tightly to form a packet and repeat to make 4 packets.
Place the packets on the grill and cook until zucchini is soft and cooked through, turning once, about 10 minutes total.
Recipe courtesy Aida Mollenkamp, 2009
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young