Aida's Scalloped Zucchini
- Olive oil
- 2 pounds zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick coins
- 4 (12 by 18-inch) pieces aluminum foil
- 2 cups shredded aged Cheddar
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (from about 4 medium cloves)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 16 thyme sprigs
Heat grill to 350 degrees F (medium heat) and oil well.
When ready to cook, oil 1 piece of aluminum foil on 1 side. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese in the middle of the foil to form a rectangle, shingle 1/4 of the zucchini over cheese (about 3 rows of 8 zucchini coins). Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the shallots and 1 teaspoon of garlic evenly over top, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with another 1/4 cup cheese, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, and top with 4 sprigs of thyme. Enclose foil tightly to form a packet and repeat to make 4 packets.
Place the packets on the grill and cook until zucchini is soft and cooked through, turning once, about 10 minutes total.